The industry average turnaround time for most background checks is between 3-5 business days, but can take longer than expected depending on the depth of the search, geographical location of your candidates, or county courthouse operations.
Depending on these factors, they can be completed in as soon as a few minutes, or longer than two weeks.
Background check packages can include many types of checks, from instant database searches to Federal-level checks that require upwards of a month. See the types of checks we offer on our Screenings page.
- Most database screenings (SSN Trace, Sex Offender Registry Check, Global Watchlist Records Check, and National Criminal Records Check) are completed within a few seconds.
- County criminal checks are generally the limiting factor in terms of turnaround time. On average, Intelligater background checks are completed in 2-3 days, however, in some cases they are completed in a few minutes, in others it can take more than two weeks.
Our background checks utilize a combination of database searches and manual county court-level searches, and the turnaround time of a report will depend on:
- How comprehensive the screenings are (more comprehensive searches will generally take longer, especially when county courthouses are involved)
- For which purpose you are screening (e.g. pre-employment; tenant screening; etc.)
- Geographical location of candidates (some jurisdictions return information more slowly than others)
HOW LONG DO BACKGROUND CHECKS TAKE???